The NPORS N401 course aims to provide the candidate with a thorough practical and theory training in Planning Lifting Operations in order to to enable the candidate to pass the NPORS Theory and Practical Tests
Through a combination of targeted training and experience, an appointed person will be able to:
- Explain the duties and responsibilities of: an Appointed Person, a Crane Supervisor, a Crane Operator, a Slinger, a signaler, a crane erector, and maintenance personnel.
- State basic requirement of legislation, regulations, and Codes of Practice that relate to all types of lifting duties.
- Identify the requirements for basic, standard and complex lifts.
State requirements to be followed when planning the lifting of persons.
- Explain additional requirements for loads to be lifted from height.
Describe notification, liaising and reporting procedures to statuary, authority, and utility bodies when affected by the lifting operation, i.e. works, railways, highways, airfields, etc.
- Identify different types of cranes, and explain their capabilities and limitations for given lifting operations.
- Explain maintenance, inspection, thorough examination and testing requirements for lifting equipment and accessories.
- Describe setting up, erection, leveling and dismantling requirements for different types of lifting equipment and lifts.
- Calculate lifting equipment point loadings/outriggers loadings, spreader mat types and sizes from given information.
- Explain the function and use off, and use information provided by, RCIs and anti – collision systems.
- Select the correct crane for specific specified lifts and utilize accessories Inc: swing ways, stingers, powered boom extensions etc. extra ballast plus duties chart, range diagrams and specification sheets.
- List different types of lifting accessories and explain typical applications.
Identify and explain relevant information relating to different types of lifting accessories i.e. markings, certificates and through examination reports, etc.
Calculate sling size and angles.
- Explain slinging techniques for given loads including balanced, unbalanced and loose.
- Specify appropriate lifting accessories for given types of loads.
- Identify weights and centers of gravity for different types of loads.
- Position and configure the vehicle and loader crane for lifting duties.
- Deploy the stabilizers to specification
Explain action required for hazards, underground and overhead services.
Program/set – up and/or comply with Rated Capacity Indicators or Load Moment Indicators for lifting duties.
- Identify weights and centers of gravity of loads.
- Lift various loads using the full radius and slewing capabilities of the loader crane.
- Place loads accurately at designated positions including on/into and from the vehicle.
- Explain the use of, types and fitting of boom extensions.
- Minimize the swinging loads.
- Secure loads on or in the vehicle.
Explain different types of lifting accessories compatible with loader crane use.
Maintain safe working situations.
- Carry out shut down and securing procedures.
To achieve the NPORS Operators Card candidates must pass both the NPORS Theory and Practical Test.